Manage your OMG
with NOW Wallet
How it works
How to buy OMG Network with card
- Pick OMG as the currency you want to buy.
- Choose a fiat currency to buy OMG with.
- Enter your card details and the recipient's address if you are sending to a third-party wallet.
- Receive your OMG in approximately 5 mins!
How to exchange OMG Network
- Pick OMG as the currency you want to exchange.
- Choose the crypto asset you’d like to get for your OMG.
- Enter the recipient's address if you are exchanging to a third-party wallet.
- Receive your exchanged assets in approximately 5 mins!
What is OMG Network (OMG)
The OMG Foundation, previously known as OMG Network and OmiseGo, is a layer-2 scaling solution for Ethereum. It was founded in 2017 by, a Thailand-based fintech enthusiast, Vansa Chatikavanij. Currently, there is a team of over 50 people behind the project.
The core mechanism behind the project is called MoreViable Plasma (MoreVP): it groups several transactions off the Ethereum network to get them processed as one and then returns them for final validation. It helps decrease transactions’ duration and costs. In this case, OMG Foundation handles thousands of transactions per second and managed to reduce their cost by one-third. The cost is lower due to gas fees being paid for a group of transactions rather than each transaction separately. MoreVP also utilises the UTXO-based transaction model which helps prevent the double spending issue.
The decentralized security of the network is achieved with the help of the “Watchers” — a network of computers, supervising the block that produces nodes, an Operator. Any user can become a watcher monitoring the network. Currently, the OMG Foundation uses a Proof of Authority algorithm, however, it is planning to move to the Proof of Stake algorithm. Once that happens, the OMG token will not only be used for paying transaction fees but also as a staking mechanism.
The OMG Foundation is planning to launch a new token, BOBA, in November 2021. The said token will be used for governance and rewards on the Boba network, a layer-2 scaling solution for Ethereum.